Saturday, January 4, 2014

bumps and bruises

I think this falls under the category of 'can't catch a break.'  shortly after I wrote about my Humira adventure, it was time for another shot.  my beyond-wonderful husband suffered through the Julie theatrics once more - "ok do it, no don't do it, ok I'm ready, no no no, please don't, ready! no way. please can we just do this later? alright I'm ready, no I'm not. 3, 2, 1, ahhh don't do it [tears tears tears]."  finally the shot was given, thanks to John's perseverance and kindness.  it hurt and I cried, but it was done.  did I mention this was on Christmas?  what a gift.

the next morning I was at work and I absentmindedly scratched an itch on my leg.  I immediately noticed a rather large bump and that my skin was hot to the touch in that area.  I ducked into the bathroom to get a closer look.  lo and behold, my injection site was a'raging.  after some phone tag with Dr. J's nurse, I discovered that this sometimes happens to people after their third and fourth injections.  evidently, the body suddenly realizes what you're doing to it and gets royally pissed off.  the nurse advised me to strap an ice pack to the site, take a large dose of Benadryl, and give into the loopy side effects for the sake of bringing down the swelling.  I was sent home from work, took said large dose of Benadryl, and woke up a few hours later with an even bigger welt.  turns out my injection site reaction was a little more stubborn than average.  just my luck.

a couple boxes of Benadryl and about a week later, and my leg has returned to a somewhat normal state.  still a bit of a bruise, but I no longer have a large red mass on my upper thigh.  looks like it cleared up just in time for my next dose on Wednesday.  yay!...

ok, enough about that.

I just have to say that one of the coolest things about sharing my story is the support and encouragement I receive from all over.  texts, facebook interactions, e-mails, hugs, tissues handed to me when I need them -- the support comes in many ways and from many different people.  this results in feeling lifted up, supported, and not alone, and that is just powerful.  being part of a community and to have people watching my back and lifting me up in prayer is one of life's greatest blessings.  when I'm tempted to throw in the towel or at least throw myself a pity party, God uses someone to remind me of His goodness and faithfulness.  I'm not wandering around this life aimlessly bumping into hardships; He has ordained my comings and my goings and everything in between.  His sovereignty is astounding and humbling.

Great is thy faithfulness, Lord onto me!

No comments:

Post a Comment